Coming from Nixgate the makers of the highly popular Incursion add on. Seren was highly anticipated and has become one of the widest used add ons on Kodi as it has not disappointed. So, we took the time to find out what all the fuss was about.
What is Kodi?
Kodi has been around since 2002 and has been adopted by millions of users around the world, becoming one of the most widely uses open source, free and legal media players around.
Kodi remain popular first and foremost because no other media player has a such a wide and extensive library of add ons. Numbering in the thousands these add ons give access to most of the media known to man, and mostly for free.
In addition, Kodi can play almost any media format and has a 10-foot user interface which allows you to scale any Android application to be seen and used on your Tv using the remote provided with your Android Tv device.
What is an Add On?
An add on provides extended functionality. Think of Kodi as a media player, a Swiss army knife. An add on gives you an added tool. To access a certain type of media or give additional support in the form of web scrapers coded to scrape particular web sites and find new sources of media.
What is Seren
Seren is a brand new add on which has been freshly coded. Meaning that it offers flexibility and features not found anywhere else. Nixgate originally coded Seren, as they became unhappy at constantly having to alter the code base for Incursion which was itself a fork of the popular Covenant add on
- Menus and scrapers are very fast and highly responsive
- As a user you can build, add or subtract your own scrape lists giving a new level of customization
- Compatible with Real Debrid and Premiumize so you can access high quality links
- Compatible with Trakt.tv
- Cache torrents
- Download offline
- Automatic caching for Premiumize users, meaning you can play straight from the Cloud without delay
- Next up
- Shuffle Play
- A lot of very similar Netflix like capability but delivered to a higher standard than most other add ons
How to Install Seren
Get Seren up and running in minutes using our simple step by step guide. We recommend you have a VPN enabled if you want to use all the features Seren has to offer. Your Internet Service Provider may block some or all of them if you try to use it with an unencrypted connection:
- Start on the Kodi home screen
- Click on settings (top left-hand corner gear icon)
- Click System
- Turn on Unknown sources so that your Kodi application can use source outside of their official repository
- Go back to the previous screen and click File Manager
- Click add source and then “Add None”
- In the “Enter the paths or browse for the media locations” URL bar that comes up type in : https://nixgates.github.io/packages (If this URL does not work, copy and paste it into Google Search with “+ working URL”)
- Name the source Seren
- Click OK, Seren will now be added to your Kodi file manager
- Click add ons and install from zip file. Seren needs to be unzipped before being installed
- Select your Seren file and wait for it to unzip
- Now you can install Seren from the Seren Repositor
- Click Video Add ons and then install, also click install for additional add ons
- Go back to the home screen and Seren should be installed and ready to go
Is it Safe to Use?
Seren comes from Nixgate a trusted developer and is safe to use. Your biggest threat will come from trying to download the file from an unofficial repository. Always check the URL before downloading and then installing a file.
Is it Legal or Grey?
Seren operates in a grey area, as though it does not distribute illegal copyrighted content it acts as a content library. Linking up users and providers. For that reason, we always recommend that you use a VPN/
Should I Use This App With a VPN?
Always use Seren with a VPN. Without it the add on may work. Also, you leave yourself open to being tracked by your ISP, having your traffic logged and potentially more serious consequences if you are a heavy user.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Is it Free?
When Was it Released ?
Seren was released in 2018 from the highly respected Nixgate development team, who had great success with the Covenant fork they named Incursion. In fact, Seren is their in-house coded improvement to Incursion
Though Seren may deliver everything you could want in an add on, it always pays to have multiples downloaded that may appear to serve the same function. This speaks to the nature of add ons and what they do. Due to the content users can watch on them, they have a habit of going down, being blocked, becoming unstable or being abandoned.
Here are a few alternatives we recommend you keep:
- Exodus Redux
- The Magic Dragon
- Show Box
Don’t forget to stay on top of new add ons by regularly checking Google and looking for “best Kodi add ons” new ones pop up every month and a few stick.
Seren has really impressed with its functionality, slick interface and also improved compatibility with Real Debrid and Premiumize.
By coding the add on from the ground up rather than forking someone else’s project they have created a better product which they can modify quickly and easily.
The add on removes a lot of the bloat that you find in other add ons, and a fresh code base gives the developers unlimited potential to expand the add on based upon new features that may become available in the coming years.
Seren is a keeper.
Total Score: 9.8
Total Score: 9.6
Total Score: 9.3
Total Score: 8.7
Total Score: 8.5