What is a URL Resolver?
Before we even get into Kodi, maybe you’re wondering what on earth a URL Resolver is. Well, it’s simple.
You will know a web address as say www.google.com but this can also be defined as a range of numbers known as an IP address. For example, Google’s primary DNS server has the IP address 22.214.171.124.
Of course, remembering the website name is much easier than remembering the numbers. Servers use URL Resolvers to convert text URLs to numerical IP addresses and back again.
What is a URL Resolver?
For hardened Kodi users, many would say that Kodi URL Resolver is probably the most important add-on you can have on Kodi.
Any Add on that you have on Kodi from Yoda to Exodus Redux will all use Kodi URL Resolver.
Kodi URL Resolver converts the cyberlocker links that your add ons web scraper scripts fetches into usable media files that can be played on Kodi.
The add-on is neutral and is a utility tool. By itself, it doesn’t scrape and fetch content, but it provides a valuable function by converting links into usable media. Every time Kodi URL Resolver is updated it brings new life to old add ons.
What made Kodi URL Resolver so popular is that it was integrated into so many add ons being used on Kodi.
Why Use the URL Resolver?
Many add-on developers rely on Kodi URL Resolver to screen links that are no longer working.
The URL Resolver can resolve files from all the most stable and best working hosts. Without it, an add-on developer would need to code these all themselves. As this is a complex and large task, most rely on their users to install Kodi URL Resolver.
Without it, you’ll probably end up with a lot of dead and junk links.
So, use Kodi URL Resolver to improve the quality of your links and media. We strongly advise that you install Kodi URL Resolver to improve the overall quality of your viewing experience.
This can further be enhanced with a Real Debrid account, which for less than $5 a month will always give you access to high-quality links to 50+ server hosts and torrent caches.
YOUR INTERNET ACTIVITY IS BEING WATCHED
ReviewVPN cannot attest to the legality, security and privacy of the applications discussed on this site. It is highly recommended that you use a VPN service while streaming or using Kodi.
Currently, your IP 126.96.36.199 is visible to everyone and your Browser is being tracked by Advertisers & ISP Provider.
Here are the main reasons why you must use a VPN:
- Your activities are hidden from your ISP, the government, and from the apps you are using.
- You can access additional movies and TV streams.
- ISP attempts to throttle are thrwarted thus reducing buffering issues.
- Geographically restricted content like Netflix and Hulu can be unblocked.
A VPN works be replacing your ISP-assigned IP address and creating an encrypted tunnel. We recommend the no log service offered by IPVanish. It works well on a Firestick and offers the fastest possible speeds.
Installing Kodi URL Resolver
Luckily, it’s quick and easy to get going with URL Resolver using these simple steps:
- Open your Kodi application
- Go to settings, which is the gear icon in the top left-hand corner
- Click on system
- Turn on Unknown Settings, which allows applications from third-party developers to be installed on Kodi
- Go back once screen to File Manager
- Click Add Source and then Add None
- A URL pop up bar will come up, write in the following URL: http://fusion.tvaddons.co
- Name the source “Resolver” (or whatever you want)
- Go back to addons and then install from zip file. Click your “Resolver” source, which will take a few seconds to unzip
- Now click on install from a repository (above install from zip), kodi-repos and repository.xbmchub-188.8.131.52.zip
- Go back to install from repository and select kodi-scripts. Do this three times until you have installed the following three scripts: script.module.metahandler-3.0.2.zip, script.module.srolse.url-5.0.34.zip, script.module.urlresolver.-5.0.39.zip
- Any addons that you install will be programmed to automatically scan your system to synchronize with URL Resolver
Updating URL Resolver
It’s important to keep Kodi URL Resolver updated. Every update means better working links and sources.
- Start from Kodi Home screen, go to Settings
- Select System in the bottom right-hand corner and then go to Expert Mode (In the settings screen you’ll notice it says basic settings on the bottom left-hand corner, click on it or press the return key to turn it to expert)
- Click addons and then manage dependencies
- Click on URL Resolver, then settings, and click update
URL Resolver does have a habit of being updated less frequently than many users would like. Because it’s free and run by a sole developer who understandably has other things to do and has withdrawn previously withdrawn from the community after strong legal cases brought against prominent developers.
So, we also have a couple of other URL resolvers we’d recommend instead that sprung up when Kodi URL Resolver last went down.
Kodi URL Resolver is currently on its 5th version and was updated in April this year with several features added including:
- Magnet link support
- Integration with Premiumize and Real Debrid
- Accessing cached torrents on Kodi
- Now supports All Debrid
- Support for Google new ReCaptcha Version 2
- An easier system for adding resolvers
Use Kodi with a VPN
Kodi works through different links from unknown sources. We are not 100% sure of the risk they provide. It is better to always look after safety and privacy. Use a VPN every time you use Kodi.
The best VPN to use is IPVanish. It works well with Kodi, is easy to use, and is not expensive. Click here to get the lowest price on IPVanish through our exclusive limited-time offer.
Here are some of the best features of IPVanish:
- No log policy
- Mask your identity from hackers and ISP.
- Provides access to geo-restricted content.
- Quick Registration process.
- Link your VPN to many routers and firewalls.
- Bypass limitations with popular streaming websites.
If your Firestick still has the older interface, read this article to learn how to update it: Update Firestick Interface
How to Install IPvanish on your Firestick with Screenshots
You can download IPVanish directly from the Amazon App store. It will be easy for you to find IPVanish with your Firestick’s Find feature. Refer to our screenshots below.
1. Click Home on your remote and click “Find”.
2. Click “Search”
3. You can either say IPVanish to your Alexa’s voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
4. Click on the IPVanish icon.
5. Click on Download
6. Wait to download.
7. Wait to install.
8. Click on Open.
9. Input your username and password to log in.
10. Click Connect.
Kodi URL Resolver is one of the most common Kodi errors / required addons to allow other addons to install successfully. Its installation is pretty straightforward once you have a few good sources.