What is a VPN?
A VPN is an acronym that stands for Virtual Private Network. A VPN allows users to use a public network, like the Internet, safely and anonymously. This allows users to enjoy increased privacy and security. The technology was first made popular by businesses that needed enhanced security features. This allowed them to safely transmit sensitive data.
In today’s increasingly digital age, personal VPNs are growing in popularity among average consumers. Previously VPNs used to be very expensive. Today its widely available for a fraction of the cost. In addition to the security features, many users value increased privacy. A VPN can also be used to access restricted content, or content only available in other countries.
VPN Security Features
VPN’s create an encrypted tunnel that allows users to securely transmit information over a public network. Businesses, government agencies, and universities began using VPN technology years ago to allow people to remotely access sensitive data. Tunneling protocols required authorization, and encryption keeps this data secure.
Most people wouldn’t think of using their computer without an antivirus and firewall. Personal VPNs are increasingly becoming the next step in the evolution of personal computer security. Recent news stories about Firesheep and government snooping have meant people are more aware of data privacy.
The most important privacy feature of a VPN is that your IP given by your internet company is replaced by one provided by your VPN. A VPN company is much more likely to protect your privacy. That is what you are paying for. An ISP is often compelled by law to retain data about your browsing activity.
Many VPN providers build additional measures into their systems to guarantee your privacy. One measure is to not log user data. If there are no logs in the first place, there isn’t any data to hand over upon request. VPN providers also tend to share the IP addresses amongst their users. This in combination with the lack of logs can make tracing an individual user almost impossible.
Using a VPN, you can replace your IP address, with one from anywhere around the world. This gives you access to geographically restricted content. For example, you could reside in Washington state. but through the use of a VPN, acquire a London IP address to access BBC iPlayer. Many large content providers will not allow you to watch certain content unless you live in that country. You can use a VPN to access more content on Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, and BBC iPLayer. To name a few.
You can bypass firewalls using a VPN. Some countries restrict access to certain content. The largest of these firewalls is jokingly referred to as the Great Firewall of China. Iran and several other Middle Eastern countries are also well known for blocking access to websites. Due to cultural and political reasons your freedom to look at content is restricted. Commonly blocked sites include Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube.
- L2TP over IPsec
YOUR INTERNET ACTIVITY IS BEING WATCHED
ReviewVPN cannot attest to the legality, security and privacy of the applications discussed on this site. It is highly recommended that you use a VPN service while streaming or using Kodi.
Currently, your IP 220.127.116.11 is visible to everyone and your Browser is being tracked by Advertisers & ISP Provider.
Here are the main reasons why you must use a VPN:
- Your activities are hidden from your ISP, the government, and from the apps you are using.
- You can access additional movies and TV streams.
- ISP attempts to throttle are thrwarted thus reducing buffering issues.
- Geographically restricted content like Netflix and Hulu can be unblocked.
A VPN works be replacing your ISP-assigned IP address and creating an encrypted tunnel. We recommend the no log service offered by IPVanish. It works well on a Firestick and offers the fastest possible speeds.
Advantages of Using a VPN
- Added security
- Increased privacy
- Access geographically restricted content (Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, etc.)
- Bypass firewalls to access content restricted by the government (E.G. Twitter in the Middle East).
Disadvantages of Using a VPN
- Most VPN services cost money.
- Your internet will be slower. Using a premium VPN service and the closest server to your location allows users to experience the fastest speed.
Future of Virtual Private Networks
The number of people using VPNs has exploded over the past 10 years. Data privacy is not a commonly understood term. Many people are now concerned about the ability of government agencies like the NSA to snoop on them. When choosing a VPN, pick one that has a great track record of keeping your data safe. Having a good zero logs policy, secure VPN protocols, and a fast network.
Recommended Reading – Why to Use a VPN
Note: For more information about Surfshark, please read our Surfshark Review.
How to Install Surfshark VPN on Firestick
If your Firestick still has the older interface, read this article to learn how to update it: Update Firestick Interface.
Follow our screenshots below to install the SurfShark VPN app on your Fire TV stick.
1. Go to the Home screen of your Firestick.
2. Navigate towards the Find tab. Press the Search button from the resulting dropdown.
3. Type in the keyword of SurfShark and select from the suggestions that will appear.
4. Click the official SurfShark icon from your search results.
5. Press the Download (You own it) button.
6. The SurfShark VPN installer will download on your device.
7. SurfShark VPN’s app will automatically install itself on your Fire TV stick.
8. Press the Open button after completing SurfShark VPN’s installation process.
9. Please wait for the SurfShark VPN to load its user interface.
10. You can now log in with your SurfShark VPN account credentials.
- 1200+ Servers in 60+ Countries around the world
- Unlimited Connections
- No-Log Policy
- Top Notch Military-Grade VPN Protocols and Encryptions
- 100% Safe and Secured
- Most Trusted VPN
- Best VPN for Firestick
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Yearly $3.99 per month (63% Discount) – 30 days risk free + Ransomware & Malware Protection
- Quarterly $5.32 per month (51% Discount)
- Monthly $10.99 per month
For more VPN discounts, go to ReviewVPN Deals and purchase the best VPN for you.
Click here to get the lowest price on Surfshark through our exclusive limited-time offer.