Top Kodi Shortcuts and How to Change Them
Kodi is an awesomely powerful application that gives you the ability to turn your TV into a home media center. But sometimes navigating so many different features can be frustrating and time-consuming. In this article, we will feature the Kodi shortcuts.
That’s why we put together this guide, giving you a massive range of shortcuts and a clear and easy reason to use a keyboard with Kodi.
Why You Should Use Kodi With a Keyboard
Now you might say, but isn’t it easier to use Kodi with a remote?
Of course, if you just want to point and click at one thing. But Kodi is more than your TV and to get the best out of it we feel there’s great benefit in using a wireless keyboard alongside Kodi.
For a start, you can jump through the screen, settings, and shortcuts in a way that a remote never could.
Secondly, Kodi’s User Interface isn’t the friendliest and it can be frustrating clicking through endless menus and drop-down options. With a keyboard, you can become a power Kodi user and get there faster.
I’ve Got a Mac
Well, aren’t you fancy! Many of these shortcuts will work with a Mac, but you may need to look up alternative instructions or use the buttons + Command to get them to work.
The good news is, that Kodi has some inbuilt commands, especially for you Mac users.
Our Favourite Kodi Shortcuts
Here is a list of our favorite shortcuts broken down by function.
While Watching Your Media
One place where a remote is never great is when you just miss what someone said or want to skip forward or back while playing a video.
Using a keyboard makes it easy to navigate your media and change View.
- P – Play your Video
- X – Stop the video
- Space bar – Just like YouTube and most other media players, you can use the Space bar to pause and play videos
- F – Fast forward the video, by pressing it multiple times you can increase the speed that you skip forward. So, if you want to skip through the video at twice the speed then just press ‘F’ twice
- T – Turn on subtitles. If the subtitles don’t turn you may need to go to your add ons settings and configure them manually first
- \ – Switch between full screen and window mode. Nothing like sitting down and then realizing your video player is stuck in window mode. One backslash later and you can enjoy your show or movie in full-screen glory
- +/- + “F8” – Volume Up or Down, Mute. Press and Hole +/- to turn the volume up or down, you can also press “F8” to mute the sound altogether
- +/- – Zoom in/out. This is a cool feature that we love, particularly for movie buffs. You can use your keyboard to zoom in on full screen and pick out some little inconsistency or detail that’s caught your eye
- Right Arrow/ Left Arrow – Fast Forward/ Rewind. If you don’t fancy trying to click the right point on the progress bar, just press right and left to skip backward and forward in 30-second increments
- A – Audio Delay. This function is awesome. If you love streaming, you’ll be familiar with that time when the audio starts playing slightly out of sync with the video. Before you’d have to exit the program and restart to sync. Now just click “A” to get it to sync up.
YOUR INTERNET ACTIVITY IS BEING WATCHED
ReviewVPN cannot attest to the legality, security and privacy of the applications discussed on this site. It is highly recommended that you use a VPN service while streaming or using Kodi.
Currently, your IP 18.104.22.168 is visible to everyone and your Browser is being tracked by Advertisers & ISP Provider.
Here are the main reasons why you must use a VPN:
- Your activities are hidden from your ISP, the government, and from the apps you are using.
- You can access additional movies and TV streams.
- ISP attempts to throttle are thrwarted thus reducing buffering issues.
- Geographically restricted content like Netflix and Hulu can be unblocked.
A VPN works be replacing your ISP-assigned IP address and creating an encrypted tunnel. We recommend the no log service offered by IPVanish. It works well on a Firestick and offers the fastest possible speeds.
Live TV Kodi Shortcuts
How about Live TV? If you are a sports nut, or just want to watch the latest pay-per-view fight, it can be challenging to navigate particularly when some add ons like Mobdro have 1,000+ channels to choose from.
- Up/Down arrow – Move up and down through the channel list
- Left/Right arrow – Move between channel categories
- 0 – Switch between the last two Live TV channels you’ve viewed
- B – Schedule that event/channel to be recorded
- E – Open up the EPG (Electronic Programme Guide)
- H – Open up the Live TV Channels Window
- K – Open up the Live TV recordings Window
Change Your Display Kodi Shortcuts
Sometimes videos don’t quite fit your screen, or you want to change the resolution to find a better quality of the image. Or perhaps your aspect ratio is a bit off. Luckily with a keyboard, you don’t have to search for the settings you can just do it all within the picture
- \ — Switch between full screen and window. As covered earlier this is a great key for going full screen, or toggling into a small window so you can continue browsing other content
- Z — Change the aspect ratio. Most films support a certain aspect ratio whether 16:9 or 4:3, but you may come across the odd piece of media that demands a different aspect. You can cycle through them by repeatedly pressing Z
- Ctrl + S — Screenshot. See something really cool you want to share with your friends? Or perhaps you see an opportunity for a good meme? Well, now you can print the screen easily. Or simply use Prt Scr on an old-school keyboard
Control Kodi Overall
You can also use command-line style functions to manipulate Kodi overall.
- Esc — Return to the previous menu or the home screen. No more pressing the back button or navigating through a maze of menus to get back to the home screen
- S – Shutdown. The key displays the shutdown menu, where you can kill Kodi or just put your device into hibernate mode, so it starts quickly when you come back
- Windows Key – Return to Start Menu. You can also use the trusty Windows key for those awkward moments when you get stuck in full-screen mode or need to make a hasty exit to the Start Menu.
Manually Programme Kodi Shortcuts
You can fund the keymap for Kodi here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap
If you are so inclined and technically able you can take it a step further and install a Key Map Editor on Kodi by:
- Start from the Kodi Home Screen
- Go to Kodi Add on the repository
- Click Program Add ons
- Select Keymap Editor
Note this only works through Android and Windows devices and other operating systems may differ.
Click here to get the lowest price on Surfshark through our exclusive limited-time offer.
How to Install Surfshark VPN on Firestick
If your Firestick still has the older interface, read this article to learn how to update it: Update Firestick Interface.
You can download Surfshark directly from the Amazon App store. It will be easy for you to find Surfshark with your Firestick’s Find feature. Refer to our screenshots below.
1. Go to the Home screen of your Firestick.
2. Navigate towards the Find tab. Press the Search button from the resulting dropdown.
3. Type in the keyword of SurfShark and select from the suggestions that will appear.
4. Click the official SurfShark icon from your search results.
5. Press the Download (You own it) button.
6. The SurfShark VPN installer will download on your device.
7. SurfShark VPN’s app will automatically install itself on your Fire TV stick.
8. Press the Open button after completing SurfShark VPN’s installation process.
9. Please wait for the SurfShark VPN to load its user interface.
10. You can now log in with your SurfShark VPN account credentials.
- 1200+ Servers in 60+ Countries around the world
- Unlimited Connections
- No-Log Policy
- Top Notch Military-Grade VPN Protocols and Encryptions
- 100% Safe and Secured
- Most Trusted VPN
- Best VPN for Firestick
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Yearly $3.99 per month (63% Discount) – 30 days risk free + Ransomware & Malware Protection
- Quarterly $5.32 per month (51% Discount)
- Monthly $10.99 per month
For more VPN discounts, go to ReviewVPN Deals and purchase the best VPN for you.