How to Add Subtitles to Kodi?
In this guide, we look at why you need to add subtitles to Kodi, and 3 methods which should allow you to watch any content with subtitles in almost any language you can think of.
Why do I Need to Add Subtitles to Kodi?
Kodi isn’t like a DVD, with such a massive range of content and addons, chances are everything will be fine if you are an English speaker. But for everybody else you’ll want some subtitles to help you out.
There is no subtitles function you can simply switch on, you need to use an addon alongside Kodi, which is easy enough to install and gives you access to a massive range of foreign language subtitles.
Installing Open Subtitles
Without a doubt, the best subtitles addon that you can install and use. Driven by a massive community of volunteers, Open Subtitles is always adding new subs for the latest movies and TV shows.
However, unlike installing Subscene, you will need to register an account, so it is a bit more involved than our other options. But very much worth it.
- Go to https://www.opensubtitles.org and follow the registration instruction to get an account. You cannot use the Open Subtitles addon without one
- Start up Kodi and from the side menu on the Home screen go to addons
- Then click on the open box at the top of the left-hand screen, which is your package installer
- Click install from repository
- Click Kodi addon repository, unlike many other addons you might have, Open Subtitles is an officially recognised and supported addon from Kodi
- Click subtitles
- Select OpenSubtitles.org from the long list of addons
- Click install, when finished you will get a notification box in the top right-hand corner of your screen
- Click Open Subtitles again, and then “Configure”
- You will now be prompted to enter the username and password for your account
- Go back to the Kodi home screen and click settings (The cog icon)
- Click Player
- Under the left-hand menu, click “Language”
- Under download services you can select the languages to download subtitles for
- Click Default TV Show service
- Click “Get More” and select Open Subtitles
- Repeat for Default Movies service
Open Subtitles should now display subtitles in all your Movies and TV Shows in the language of your choice. If this does not work in some addons , refer to Part 3.
Subscene is not as good as Open Subtitles but means you can get going straight away without having to register for an account anywhere.
- From the Kodi home screen go to Settings
- Click Language, and set your default language
- Now we want to set the default TV Show and Movie service, click on both and when it says “Get More…” scroll down until you see Subscene
Its worth saying that one addon does not over rise another, you can use multiple subtitle providers and Kodi will search for the most complete or best rated subtitles and translation to use for your chosen title.
Enabling Subtitles Within Individual Addons
Some addons have their own inbuilt subtitle addon. Often it is Open Subtitles, however, you may need to adapt the subtitle settings within the add on.
You can do this by:
- Go to addons and then find the addon where you need to amend the subtitles settings
- On the addon click Tools or Settings
- There should be a section called subtitles, then go to “Enable Subtitles”
By enabling subtitles within the addon this should fix any issues.