In this article, we will feature the different methods on how you can add music to your iTunes library.
What is the best way to add music to your iTunes library? When it comes to learning all about their Apple devices, this is one of the most frequently asked questions. There are many different ways you can add music to your iTunes and they depend on where you got the music from or how they were saved.
The iTunes app allows its users to listen to, delete, or add songs to their music library. Some are even used to edit the music of other users. However, only about 30% of iTunes users are aware of what they’re doing because a lot is going on that most people are unaware of.
Apart from that, the most significant distinction between iTunes and other media players is the built-in iTunes Store, where you can get podcasts, music videos, movies, audiobooks, and TV shows, as well as its multi-level integration with Apple’s iPhone and iPod portable media player.
What is iTunes?
iTunes is a massive library of content that includes movies, TV shows, music (including audiobooks and podcasts), e-books, mobile apps, and games, all of which can be downloaded from the iTunes Store or created using the iTunes software. It allows you to add, organize, and play your digital media collection on your computer while also syncing it to a portable device.
- Audio-file playback which supports formats such as AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, and WAV
- Stream music even just by entering the URL in the “Open Stream” dialog box.
- Internet radio lets you set its presets
- Audio-coordinated graphics on-screen
- Automatically displays CD track information which you can edit if data is wrong
- Organization and management tools for your Library
- Convert your AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, WAV, or unprotected WMA files to AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, WAV, or WAV format
- Playlist creation
- Downloading files for offline playback to your device
- Music distribution over a network
How To Add Music to iTunes
1. Subscribe and Download Music from Apple Music
Apple Music is one of the best ways to add music to your iTunes library. Apple Music offers ad-free streaming of over 75 million tracks and music videos, as well as the ability to download 100,000 songs to your library. It also gives you access to exclusive playlists, shows, concerts, and live radio, all of which you can watch on any platform, online or offline.
But if you are not yet subscribed to Apple Music, here’s a step by step guide on how to subscribe and add music to your iTunes library from Apple Music:
For iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Android Users:
- Go to your iTunes app and tap on “Settings”
- Then tap on “Music”
- Tap on “Join Apple Music”
- Then you have to “Choose Your Plan” from $4.99/mo., $9.99/mo., and 14.99/mo.
- After that, authorize your payment for your chosen subscription
- Once you’ve subscribed to Apple Music, simply go to the app
- Then touch and hold a song, album, or playlist that you would like to add to your iTunes library
- Tap on “Add to Library”
- You can also add a song to your library by tapping the Add button once you swipe left over the song
- If you want to download content to your device, just touch and hold the song, album, or playlist that you’ve added from Apple Music
- Then tap on “Download”
For Mac and PC Users:
- Click on the drop-down menu and choose “Music”
- Then click on the “For You, Browse, and Radio” tabs
- Go to the “Store” tab
- Scroll to the bottom of the page wherein you will find a small header saying Music then click on “Get 3 months of Apple Music”
- Then it will prompt you to “Choose Your Plan”
- Simply click on your preferred Apple Music plan then click “Join Apple Music”
- Authorize your payment with your Apple ID and password
- Once you’re already subscribed to Apple Music, open the Apple Music app or your iTunes
- Then you can start finding a song that you would want to add to your library
- Once you find a song, album, playlist, or music video that you like, just click on the Add button
- If you would want to download music that you’ve added from Apple Music, just find it on the app and click the “Download” button
2. Buy Music From the iTunes Store
If you don’t have an Apple Music subscription, there is a more convenient alternative. You can purchase a song or an album from the iTunes Store, which you can also download to your device and listen to even when you’re not connected to the internet. Even though it costs a little more than Apple Music, many users prefer this method of adding music to their iTunes library.
For iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch Users:
- Open your “iTunes Store” app
- Then go to the bottom of the screen and tap on “Music”
- You can start browsing the app to find the song or album that you would want to purchase
- Tap on the price next to the song or album to purchase it
- Then sign in with your Apple ID and password to complete your purchase
- You can now find your purchased music on your iTunes Library
- If you want to download your purchased music so you could listen offline, simply tap on the Download button
For Mac and PC Users:
- Open your iTunes app
- Click on the “Store” tab
- Browse through the app to search for music that you would like to purchase
- Click on the music that you are planning to buy then click “Buy”
- Authorize your payment through your Apple ID and password
- You can now find your purchased music on your iTunes Library
3. Redownload Music
If you’ve purchased music from the iTunes Store, you can redownload it at no additional cost if you make sure that you’re signed in to the iTunes Store with the same Apple ID that you used the first time.
For iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch:
- Open your iTunes Store app
- You’ll see “More” on the bottom of the screen and just tap on it
- Tap on “Purchased”
- Then go to “Music”
- Find the music that you want to redownload then simply tap on it
- Then tap on the download button next to a song or album
- You can now find it on your iTunes Library
For Mac Users:
- Authorize your Mac first using your Apple ID to redownload purchased music from the Itunes Store
- Open your Apple Music app
- From the menu bar, click on “Account” then choose “Purchased”
- Then you can start finding the music that you want to redownload
- Once you’ve found it, just click on the Download button next to the song or album
- You can now go to the iTunes app to find your redownloaded music
For PC Users:
- Open your iTunes app on your device
- Go to the menu bar and choose “Account”
- Then click on “Purchased”
- Choose “Music” which you can find from the menu on the upper left corner of the app
- Start finding the music that you want to redownload
- Then click the Download Button next to your purchased song or album
- Your redownloaded music can now be found on your iTunes Library
4. Import Media from Computer to iTunes on PC
Importing existing media from your device to iTunes is one of the simplest ways to add music to your iTunes library. If you already have audio or video files on your device that you’d like to add to your iTunes playlist, simply follow the instructions below.:
- On your iTunes app, choose “File”
- Then select “Add to Library”
- Navigate where your file or folder is located then click “Open”
- There you have it, you’re done importing your media to iTunes through your laptop or PC
5. Copy Songs From Another Mac Device
Just in case you didn’t know, iTunes9 allows you to copy songs from one Mac device to another on the same network. It is also less costly since you no longer need to purchase music from apps such as iTunes Store and Apple Music.
To share folders, you simply need to follow the steps outlined below:
- On the System Preferences of the target Mac, choose “Sharing”
- Then select “File Sharing”
- Open a Finder window on the source Mac
- On the “Shared” section, click on the target Mac
- Then click the “Connect As” button
- Log in using the target Mac’s username and password
- Navigate the folder of the source Mac – /Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/AutomaticallyAddToiTunes folder
- Then select the Automatically Add to iTunes folder
- Press Command-L so you can create an alias to the file
- After you were able to rename the alias folder, you can drag it from the Finder window and drop it in its new location
- That’s it, your Mac can now copy content by dragging and dropping music to the alias folder
6. Copy a Music CD to iTunes
If you have enough storage on your device, importing your CD collection to your iTunes account might be a good idea. Having your music stored digitally helps you to control and access your music from anywhere, while also ensuring that your original CD is kept secure.
- Insert the CD in your computer’s CD drive or an external drive that is connected to it
- Wait for the list of tracks to load
- Click on “Yes” if you will import all songs from the CD and “No” if you will be selecting just a few tracks
- If you click on No, just remove the checkmarks next to the songs that you will not be copying
- Click “Import CD”
- Then select the import settings and click “OK”
- Wait for your iTunes to finish importing the files
- Then click on the Eject button on the iTunes window once done
- To view your imported CD content, Select “Music” then “Library”
Is iTunes free?
Yes, iTunes is completely free. The items you’ll be buying to add to your library are what you’ll be paying for.
Is iTunes Legal?
Yes, iTunes is Legal.
What is an iTunes Store?
At the iTunes Store, you can buy the music and video you want and download to your favorite devices. You can browse, preview, and buy digital content online. And you can have your items just a few clicks away no matter where you are or what device you’re using.
How is Apple Music different from iTunes Store?
Apple Music is available as a monthly subscription for $4.99 for students, $9.99 for Individuals, and $14.99 for Families. Meanwhile, the iTunes store will charge you per song, with the price varying according to the song or album.
What is iTunes on PC?
Having iTunes installed on your computer allows you to organize and play your music and videos, as well as listen to or download unlimited songs from Apple Music. Using your PC, you can also search the iTunes Store for music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, free podcasts, and more.
Should I Use These Apps With a VPN?
Some content on the Apple Music and iTunes Store is only available in a specific region, necessitating the use of a VPN to access and download it if you are outside the US. A VPN like IPVanish will provide you with an anonymous IP address, allowing you to access geo-restricted content by having access to 60+ countries and 1,400+ servers.
What’s great about IPVanish is that it’s available on the Apple App Store, so iOS users can take advantage of its features as well.
To add up, here are a few more advantages:
- Connect to over 40,000 anonymous IP addresses every time you connect to IPVanish
- Speed up your internet connection to prevent your music streaming from buffering
- Hide your internet activity from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to avoid ISP throttling
- IPVanish guarantees Zero Logs and No IP address leaks
- Have 10 simultaneous connections from different devices
- Secure every device you own with no data caps
Install IPVanish on Firestick with Screenshots
If your Firestick still has the older interface, read this article to learn how to update it: Update Firestick Interface.
1. Click Home on your remote and click “Find”.
2. Click “Search”
3. You can either say IPVanish to your Alexa’s voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
4. Click on the IPVanish icon.
5. Click on Download
6. Wait to download.
7. Wait to install.
8. Click on Open.
9. Input your username and password to log in.
10. Click Connect.
Grab your subscription now!
Apple’s iTunes is a great tool for managing and organizing large amounts of music. The best thing about using this tool is that you don’t need to go through all the hassle of adding each song manually, one by one. It has also changed the way we treat our music collections and listen to our favorite songs by allowing us to create an impressive audiobook library for an album, as well as watch TV shows and listen to movie soundtracks.
Thank you for reaching the end of this article. We hope we were able to help you in adding music and videos to your iTunes library, as well as provide you with an overview of the app and its sources. Enjoy!