What is Trakt?
Trakt TV has been going since 2010. They are run by a team of 3 developers. The application is used by over 2 million users and integrates with almost all popular Kodi add-ons.
It short it synchronizes all your viewing content across multiple platforms like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon alongside hundreds of others.
This means when you start watching a film on application A, you can start at the place you left off with on application B.
What Does Trakt Do?
Trakt is more than just synchronizing your watched content. It delivers customized lists of content based upon what you previously watched. So, you are constantly being served content based on your previous likes rather than having to search through acres of content online.
Trakt scrobbles your TV and movie shows, meaning it keeps track of what you’ve watched and creates new suggestions based on your previous preferences.
How Can I Get It?
Go to https://trakt.tv and download it from the website for free.
The following features are based upon the free version of Trakt:
- Automatically scrobbles what you are watching
- Check in from website and mobile applications
- Full history of everything you have watched
- Catalog your movie and TV show collection
- Links to watch content now
- Personalized TV and movie calendar
- Share what you’re watching on social media
- Track your Tv Show progress
- Personalized TV Show and movie recommendations
- Watch lists
- Personal Lists
- Post reviews
- See what’s trending in the community
- Featured lists
- Follow and discover friends
- Avoid spoilers
Is Trakt Free?
You can Trakt for free with basic functionality, for $2.50 a month you can upgrade and get a crap tonne of extra features:
- No need to view adverts anymore
- Support the community
- See a review of what you have watched that year and all time
- Calendar notification
- iCal feeds of TV shows and movies upcoming
- RSS feeds
- CSV exports
- Watch now filtering
- Advanced filtering
- Advanced search
- Watch now favorite
- Progress Reset
- Custom calendar
- List cloning
- Plex Scrobbler
- VIP badges
- Profile header images
- Test new features first
- Dark Knight theme
- Integrate with Amazon Alexa
- Trigger data refreshes
- VIP discussion forum
Honestly its worth paying for just to get rid of the ads and access the Trakt premium lists for content.
Plus, you get to support a small start-up that is essential to the Kodi ecosystem.
Is Trakt Safe?
There have been some concerns over Trakt access to your data. Basically, by collating data of what their users are watching, drop out rates for TV shows and personal preferences this presents a very juicy load of data for many advertisers.
Trakt also operate within the law and have said they will hand over any data they have on users who are trying to access a media production’s content which has being viewed without their permission.
The software itself though is safe and used by literally millions of people. Also add ons specifically develop their software with Trak integration in mind.
Luckily you can get around this with a few simple tips:
- Ste your Trakt profile to Private
- Use Trakt and Kodi with a VPN to start off with
How Do I Set Up Trakt?
Follow these simple steps to get set up with Trakt for free today
- Sign up for a free account at https://trakt.tv.
- Click Next Step and enter your profile details (keep it vague, don’t give truthful details!
- Click Next and choose your favorite genres
- Add TV and Movies to your profile and marked titles you have watched so that the decision engine can start picking out future titles to watch
- You’re good to go!
How Do I Set Up Trak on Kodi?
Of course, the main point of getting Trakt is to get it running with Kodi and help you with your add ons, to keep track of what you have watched. Set up Trakt on Kodi using these simple steps:
- Start up Kodi and from the Kodi Home Screen choose your favorite add on like Yoda for example
- Click into Yoda
- Go the add on menu and select tools
- Click the accounts tab
- Scroll down to Trakt and then click “Authorization”
- Kodi will give you a Trakt authorization code, copy this
- In a browser go to: trakt.tv/activate and enter in the code to activate your account
- Say yes when it asks if you want to show the add on in your account
- Your device is now connected with Trakt
Now you can keep going and synchronize Trakt with all your add ons at the same time:
- Go back to the Kodi main menu
- Add ons
- Click on the Add on browser icon which looks like a pile of boxes on the top left icon off the menu screen on your left
- Install from repository
- Kodi Add on Repository
- Programme Add ons
- Scroll down and Trakt will now be in the list of your add ons. Click on it.
- Click install, and choose the most recent version
- When the installation is complete a verification pop up window will come with a code and a link to https://trakt.tv/activate
- Enter the code and click continue
- Allow Trakt for Kodi to use your account and synchronize all add ons
- Your device is now connected, and all add ons will be synced on your device. You can repeat this step for other devices and all future add ons will be synced if you stay connected to Trakt
We recommend installing an active VPN on your device. This is to keep your connection encrypted and anonymous. We recommend IPVANISH VPN.
Screenshots with Step by Step Instruction to Install IPVanish on a Firestick
1. Click Home on your remote and scroll once to your left. It will be the search icon.
2. You can either say IPVanish to your Alexa’s voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
3. Click on the IPVanish icon.
4. Click on Download
5. Wait to download.
6. Wait to install.
7. Click on Open.
8. Input your username and password to log in.
9. Click Connect.
Is Trakt Worth Getting?
If you don’t already have Trakt then you are missing out. Think of having your own free Netflix engine which suggest and recommends titles and gives you access to see what other people are watching.
Trakt is a must for anyone using Kodi.