Is it any Good?
TV Tap has grown quickly in popularity since it first came around in mid-2018, offering 150+ channels for free. It’s easy to use with a great UI that has attracted many loyal users. Part of what makes this app special is that it comes in a version intended for Firesticks and a regular Android version.
It’s also a good app because it does what it says and keeps the frills to a minimum. Most of the channels aren’t HD, but they are stable. In our experience, IPTV apps with tens of thousands of HD channels tend to die quickly. It’s the apps like Mobdro and TV Tap that focus on reliability and a reasonable number of channels that stand the test of time. Plus, ad-free versions are usually available.
What Does it Do?
TV Tap concentrates on traditional cable and broadcast channels, like ABC News, A&E, Comedy Central, etc. It also has some premium channels, like Cinemax, Showtime and Starz.
You can use an internal video player (Go Player) or Mx Player pro to view the videos. We used to recommend MX Player as the video output tends to look a little nicer, but we’ve run into audio issues lately with MX Player. To use Go Player, just start playing the video and hit the button that says Full Screen.
This app is quite similar to Mobdro and Redbox in that it’s been around for a long time providing a reliable source for free cable. Channel categories include:
What Platforms Does it Work on?
TV Tap only works on Android devices and Firesticks.
- 150+ Live TV Channels
- Also features a wide selection of movies and TV Shows
- Easy to use the search function
- Supports almost all video formats
- Wide range of supported subtitles
- HD streams are available
- You can download some content
- No adverts at all, the application is totally free
- Buffers Live TV quickly
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Favorite TV Channels
How Do You Install TV Tap?
You can download the application directly from their website: tvtap.bz
Remember that if you are on a Firestick or Android TV box, you’ll want to get that version as opposed to the version for Android Phones and Tablets. As of writing this article, the version for Phones and Tablets is 2.2 and the version for Firesticks and Android TV boxes is 2.9. We’ve also found some additional links for you that you can use.
Note: ReviewVPN.com does not host this APK file. It is hosted on Archive.org.
The version above is the official version for Firesticks. If you want the version for Android phones and tablets, you can get it through the aforementioned official website. You can also currently find the modded ad-free version for Firesticks here.
Before installing TV Tap, you might need to adjust your device to allow unknown sources. On an Android phone or tablet, this can generally be found under Settings> General > Security
If you are unable to find the right setting then just Google your device + “install apps from unknown sources”
How to Install TV Tap on a Firestick
- From the home screen, scroll right until you reach Settings
- Scroll down one and to the right until you reach My Fire TV
- Scroll down one and click on Developer Options
- Turn on ADB Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources
- Click the home button on your remote and scroll once to the left to access the Amazon App Store
- Search for Downloader or say Downloader to your Alexa voice-enabled remote
- Install Downloader by clicking on the icon and then hitting Download (or Get) and Open
- Type reviewvpn.com/tvtap (for the official version)
TV Tap Won’t Open
We’ve experienced some issues opening TV Tap, primarily on the first run after installation. If you open it and you get a white screen, go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Installed Applications -> TV Tap -> Force Close -> Open. This should resolve any issues you have on a Firestick.
Is it Safe to Use?
TV Tap is safe to use, but make sure not to confuse it with similar-sounding websites and applications. For example, there is another app called Tap TV which has no relation whatsoever!
Is it Legal or Grey?
It’s a grey area but not by much, a lot of the channels are actually already free to stream but through their respective applications.
The content for the latest movies and TV shows though is likely to be blocked if you are not using a VPN provider.
Should I Use This App With a VPN?
There are a couple of reasons why we always suggest you use a VPN:
- A VPN will allow you to stay safe and anonymous online.
- Your Internet Service Provider may block up to 50% of the content that you could potentially see online, as it is illegal or there has been a complaint lodged about the legality of being able to distribute that content. With a VPN you can look at anything you like. Your connection is encrypted using 256-bit encryption, the same used by the US Army. Meaning that your ISP is unable to snoop on what you are looking at
- A VPN allows you to hide your original IP address, and appear to everyone including your ISP that you are logging on from a different physical location in your country. You can even log into different servers abroad, and access region-restricted content.
- A VPN allows you to keep your data safe from malicious third parties and makes you untraceable with a Tier 1 Provider like IPVanish
Is it Free?
Are There Ads? (If it has ads is there a modded version)
Tap TV has no ads in the modded version!
Is There an Official Website?
What Other Devices Does it Work on?
TV Tap only work on Android devices
How Does The App Work?
It pulls live TV channels from around the world and offers them to view using their servers. They focus on standard definition content to offer greater reliability and be able to provide streams to a larger audience.
What is the Minimum Version of Android I Need?
How Long Has it Been Around?
From reviews, we can tell that it’s been around about a year since mid-2018.
Is it a Terrarium Clone?
What is The Development Team Like?
No idea, we couldn’t find any information through a Facebook page or Reddit
There are 2 really good alternatives out there:
- 800+ channels
- Best selection for a free Live TV application
- You can turn off adverts
- Pro option to stream offline
- Live Event TV Calendar
- Great Terrarium clone
- HD streams available
Read our guide to install Mobdro on a Firestick.
- Great layout
- Really easy to use
- Quick buffering time for Live TV
- Watch channels from 17 countries
- Good selection of content and channels
Read our guide to install Redbox TV on a Firestick.
TV Tap is a solid application for free cable TV.
It’s great that they offer a version specifically made for the Firestick. This eliminates the need to add mouse functionality with Mouse Toggle and adjust the set orientation. The internal video player (Go Player) also works well. We’ll have to dig deeper into what’s causing the audio issues with MX Player, but we suspect most people would prefer not to have to use a second application anyway.
There is a good selection of TV Channels, but its nothing compared to the tens of thousands of channels you might find in Exousia, Mr. Zip and Ola TV Pro when those apps are working well. That said, TV Tap has been far more stable than those other apps.
Our final verdict is that if you like Mobdro and/or Red Box, you should definitely give TV Tap a try.