Stremio is a new kid on the block when it comes to media streaming, but it has been making waves. Dubbed as the future of organizing and streaming all your media content, it has fast taken a foot hold.
Let’s jump in and find out what Stremio is and its features, how it rates against Kodi and what do the best add ons for a new Stremio user.
Legal Disclaimer: ReviewVPN.com does not encourage or endorse any illegal activity involved in the usage of services and applications referenced on this site. We do not verify the licensing agreements of services. The end-user is wholly responsible for ensuring that any media accessed through these services does not violate copyright and/or licensing laws. ReviewVPN does not promote, link to, or receive compensation from any Apps and IPTV services.
What is Stremio?
Stremio first hit the scene in 2016, and basically helps to unify everything in one place including add ons. Instead of having lots of outside developers making apps and then putting it onto their app store, they have an in-house team of developers who create their own applications based upon the needs of their users.
Third-party add ons have been rolled out, but there is.
Stremio uses add ons for streaming like Kodi, the platform itself is a bit like Windows Media Player, it can play and store any kind of media file but is made dynamic by adding additional software and scripts.
Plus, Stremio is completely cloud-based meaning none of you add ons or content is stored on the device. Making all devices equal in terms of performance to a certain extent, unlike a lot of Android streaming apps and add ons which require you to download and install it on your device.
YOUR INTERNET ACTIVITY IS BEING WATCHED
ReviewVPN cannot attest to the legality, security and privacy of the applications discussed on this site. It is highly recommended that you use a VPN service while streaming or using Kodi.
Currently, your IP 22.214.171.124 is visible to everyone and your Browser is being tracked by Advertisers & ISP Provider.
Here are the main reasons why you must use a VPN:
- Your activities are hidden from your ISP, the government, and from the apps you are using.
- You can access additional movies and TV streams.
- ISP attempts to throttle are thrwarted thus reducing buffering issues.
- Geographically restricted content like Netflix and Hulu can be unblocked.
A VPN works be replacing your ISP-assigned IP address and creating an encrypted tunnel. We recommend the no log service offered by IPVanish. It works well on a Firestick and offers the fastest possible speeds.
Is Stremio Legal?
Stremio satisfies all the requirements of being legal just like Kodi. It acts as a platform and exonerates itself from the responsibility of what people do with add ons that they may download and use through the platform.
Where Can I Find Stremio?
You can find Stremio on the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, or just download it directly from their website at: https://www.stremio.com/downloads
Stremio works across all devices and operating systems and has applications for Windows, MacOS, Linux, and Android.
- A unified platform of content with an open dashboard
- Sort and search easily with intelligent functions including category, recency, and popularity
- Calendar allows you to access content and see and track upcoming shows
- Sync it so that you always know when new episodes for your favorite shows are coming and when movies are going to be released
- Easy access to a wide range of add ons including large Torrent sites
- Intelligent recommendation system which is based upon your browsing habits like Netflix
- Easily discover new content
- All content and add ons are stored on the cloud, meaning it’s easily usable with lower RAM devices like the Amazon Fire Stick
- Cast to device easily
- Watch videos from a wide variety of sources using add ons
- Accessible through mobile
Install Stremio on Firesticks with Screenshots
- Scroll to Settings from the home screen.
2. Scroll down and to the right until you get to My Fire TV. Click on it.
3. Select Developer options.
4. Turn on ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Source.
5. Click Turn On when the pop-up appears.
6. Click Home on your remote and scroll once to your left. It will be the search icon.
7. You can either say Downloader to your Alexa voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
8. Click on the Downloader icon
9. Click Download
10. Click on Open
11. Click on Allow.
12. Type http://reviewvpn.com/stremio and click Go.
13. Click on INSTALL
14. Click on OPEN
15. Click Allow.
Screenshots with Step by Step Instruction to Install IPVanish on a Firestick
1. Click Home on your remote and scroll once to your left. It will be the search icon.
2. You can either say IPVanish to your Alexa’s voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
3. Click on the IPVanish icon.
4. Click on Download
5. Wait to download.
6. Wait to install.
7. Click on Open.
8. Input your username and password to log in.
9. Click Connect.
Stremio vs Kodi
When we talk about all in one media center, it would be hard to think of a program that’s better than Kodi, so how do the two match up, and what are the major differences between them?
Add on Library
Kodi has been around 14 years longer than Stremio coming around in 2002, so it has an enormous library of add ons. Developers are going to spend time and money developing great add ons where they feel they can have a great impact and importantly drive revenue from subscriptions and ad views.
Stremio though has a decent range of add ons and that list is growing, whether it will become quite as prolific as Kodi is another question.
One of the big drawbacks of Kodi is that it is a pretty heavy application and add ons and builds only add to that. You can easily use 1GB+ of disk space before you have even gotten started. Stremio is a much lighter application and this is reflected in both the size of the application but also the fact that the application is cloud-based.
Much like Netflix, you access their content through their servers, rather than store the content on a local disk.
This means you’ll generally spend much less time buffering on Stremio than you would on Kodi. It’s also an important consideration if you are using light and cheap device like an Amazon Fire Stick.
One big pitfall of Kodi’s success is that their files need to be downloaded and installed, which leaves a route for malicious third parties to infect your computer with malware. That’s the downside for a locally hosted application. Stremio has greater security because the add ons are downloaded and loaded within your login session which is hosted on their server. Minimizing the risk to you.
Ease of Use
For a beginner Kodi is fiddly. There is no denying that you get a massive range of add ons and choices with Kodi, but anyone who uses it knows it’s a complicated multi-step process to download, unzip and install an add on or plugin.
Stremio is simply searching, click, and go. Much easier to use.
What’s Better Stremio or Kodi?
Kodi for us is still the undisputed king when it comes to sheer choice and range in terms of versatility. Ut you pay for it with risks to security, a bulky application, and cumbersome installation procedures. Kodi is the best application for pros.
If you just want access to Torrents and are incidental users, we really like Stremio. It’s lightweight, easy to use, secure, and most importantly simple. You’ll get less choice, but as you’ll see with some of them add ons, there is a great future for Stremio if it can continue to grow and improve in terms of community support.
Best Stremio Add ons
The Pirate Bay
Access the entire Torrent database of one of the most popular torrent sites online. Stream straight from Torrent without needing to download.
RARBG add on
Pooling links from multiple torrent servers to create a massive library of content, including HD and 4K streams.
Juan Carlos 2
Another highly popular torrent source, with multiple streams on offer for each title.
A favorite for some older users. Popcorn Time has been going strong since 2014. Drawing from the YTS and EZTV torrent libraries, you get a massive range of content which is updated daily
Other great add ons:
- Open Subtitles
- Ex Add on