Is it Any Good?
Leonflix made waves when it first came out. It is one of the few cross-platform apps to watch movies on Windows, Mac, Raspberry Pi, and Linux.
Recently it was starting to lose favor until the developer returned to the project a few months ago after a 1-year break.
Leonflix is probably the best and only live streaming application for Mac and Linux. The recent update 3 months ago hopefully means that Leonflix is back, alive and kicking.
What Does it Do?
Leonflix describes itself as a modular search tool. The modules can be downloaded and added on, each module acts as a scraper to find certain types of files. Leonflix then hosts a player that allows you to play these links from the scraper.
Every show that you watch will automatically try to find the best link before auto-playing meaning that all the content on the platform should be watchable.
What Platforms Does it Work On?
Leonflix has a workable application on Windows, Android and Linux (yay!) We cannot stress how happy we are to see a working Linux application; it also shows us that this was designed by a developer’s developer who launched the application to scratch his own itch.
- Intelligent and well-designed user interface
- Paste magnet links and stream direct from torrents
- Access to a wide range of TV shows and films
- A wide range of content from community designed modules even Open Courseware and Edx Courses
- Autocomplete search suggestions
- Real Debrid supported
- In app Torrent download manager
- Peer to Peer watch parties
- Automatic updates
- Button to find new sources if the stream you are watching isn’t suitable
- Works with a range of cross-platform video players
- In application video player
- Choose what type of source you would like to pick
- Trakt.TV compatible
- Set your own custom theme color
- Personalized recommendations
YOUR INTERNET ACTIVITY IS BEING WATCHED
ReviewVPN cannot attest to the legality, security and privacy of the applications discussed on this site. It is highly recommended that you use a VPN service while streaming or using Kodi.
Currently, your IP 184.108.40.206 is visible to everyone and your Browser is being tracked by Advertisers & ISP Provider.
Here are the main reasons why you must use a VPN:
- Your activities are hidden from your ISP, the government, and from the apps you are using.
- You can access additional movies and TV streams.
- ISP attempts to throttle are thrwarted thus reducing buffering issues.
- Geographically restricted content like Netflix and Hulu can be unblocked.
A VPN works be replacing your ISP-assigned IP address and creating an encrypted tunnel. We recommend the no log service offered by IPVanish. It works well on a Firestick and offers the fastest possible speeds.
Pros and Cons
- In Torrent download manager allows you to watch torrents directly from links and download them straight to your computer for later offline watching
- In application, video players mean that you can watch on multiple platforms
- Wide range of updated content
- Module addons encourage community involvement and adding content from a wide variety of sources
- An active developer back from a break
- An active Reddit community with over 3K members
- Real Debrian and Trakt.tv compatible
- Customized recommendations and search engine
- Support for all operating systems
- Has bookmarks and a number of user’s customizable functions
- Some concerns about a developer who has been working on other projects and returned after a year, the player had stopped working due to a broken OL extractor. There is no doubt that they are gifted but one hopes they will stay to continue to develop the project
- Not compatible with Premiumize
Is it Safe to Use?
Yes, safe to download from the official website. As with other popular Android TV applications always download from the developer’s site or a trusted source.
The internet is rife with fake downloads containing malware so if in doubt scan with Malwarebytes before opening.
Is it Legal or Grey?
Leonflix is just as grey as the rest of the streaming applications out there. You can get access to a wide range of premium channels as well as a host of other pay per view service across a wide range of countries.
This puts it squarely in the grey area, even if they only act as a search engine for content rather than hosting it on their servers.
Leonflix makes a clear statement they will comply with DMCA and takedown restricted content, but it will just get added later with a new run of the scrapers.
Should I Use This App With a VPN?
Always use a VPN with Leonflix. By using a VPN, you ensure that you keep your data secure and remain anonymous online. Internet Service Providers will actively block websites, applications and even Leonflix modules if it can see that you are trying to access copyrighted content. You can circumvent this by using a VPN that can change your IP and also encrypt any data being sent and received from your home network.
Also, by not using a VPN your Internet Service Provider can see everything that you are doing. They will log your browsing records, may throttle your internet usage meaning that even when not streaming your internet could be slow, as well as running the risk of a cease and desist letter, fines or even imprisonment.
Install IPVanish on Firestick with Screenshots
If your Firestick still has the older interface, read this article to learn how to update it: Update Firestick Interface.
1. Click Home on your remote and click “Find”.
2. Click “Search”
3. You can either say IPVanish to your Alexa’s voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
4. Click on the IPVanish icon.
5. Click on Download
6. Wait to download.
7. Wait to install.
8. Click on Open.
9. Input your username and password to log in.
10. Click Connect.
Is it Free?
Yes, Leonflix is 100% free
Are There Ads? (If it has ads is there a modded version)
There are no ads
Is There a Premium Version?
The free version is the premium version
Is There an Official Website?
Yes, they have a great looking website at https://leonflix.net/
What Other Devices Does it Work On?
Leonflix works mainly on Desktops, either on Linux, Mac or Windows
How Does The App Work?
You can download the application directly from the website and install it on your device
What is the Minimum Version of Android I Need?
How Long Has it Been Around?
Leonflix has been around a while, since the start of 2018
Is it a Terrarium Clone?
What is the Development Team Like?
The developer is pretty active recently on the Reddit sub-thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/leonflix/, as well as Reddit in general. They also seem really responsive to messages and putting in new features and improvements which is encouraging.
There is some great alternative out there. For Live TV, pick Mobdro and Red Box. Or alternatively, for film and TV shows we would go with Cyberflix, Bee TV or Tea TV. These are all for Android though.
Stremio is a solid Windows alternative. Just note that Stremio will rely upon torrents, so you should definitely use a VPN.
Leonflix is a great-looking application and pretty unique on an internet full of samey looking Terrarium clones.
The fact that it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux has garnered a lot of fans in the Reddit community, we just hope that the developer continues to work on the application, and maybe looks to monetize it in some way that it can provide an income and continue to fuel their passion.
If Leonflix continues to be supported it is definitely on our watch list.