Is it Any Good?
Cartoon HD dates back to 2013, it was one of the first Android TV applications to really hit the front pages of the news when the original App was pulled from the Apple App Store after a firestorm over third-party apps distributing links for third-party content.
Unlike their name, they are not just about the cartoon, but rather an even mix of films and tv shows.
It’s a rarity in a landscape that is filled with young apps that are constantly disappearing or being blocked or abandoned.
But, Cartoon HD hasn’t kept the support it once had, mostly because the app hasn’t received many updates. Looking at their Facebook shows massive support almost 60,000 likes, but their website is now down and they post maybe 2-3 times a year mainly to upgrade servers.
It seems the developers are just keeping it going to keep ad revenue flowing in, though the app is stable there are much better and newer applications up there with more relevant and necessary features.
Install Cartoon HD on a Firestick With Screenshots
If your Firestick still has the older interface, read this article to learn how to update it: Update Firestick Interface.
1. Install the Downloader app and jailbreak your firestick by enabling unknown sources. To learn more about the procedure, you may read How to Install the Downloader App and Enable Unknown Sources.
2. Open Downloader. Type https://www.cartoonhdpro.com/cartoon-hd-download/ and click Go.
13. Click on Cartoon HD APK 3.0.3
14. Click on Install and you should be all set. Remember to delete the APK file after installation to save space.
15. Click OPEN
What Does it Do?
Cartoon HD works in a similar way to a lot of other Android TV apps; using scrapers that accumulate the latest links and content from across the web and then populate their library using fan art and linking to the IMDb account. The content is presented in a clean and easy to use User Interface where you can flick through genres, search by titles and also get the best working links from Normal quality all the way up to Ultra HD.
Cartoon HD also excepts recommended links by form and allows you to download content and watch offline.
Make sure to read our article on Best Free Movie Applications for Firestick.
What Platforms Does it Work on?
Cartoon HD works on all Android-based devices, though there seem to be problems with installing it from the Amazon store, so you may need to download it on your desktop and sideload it onto your Amazon Fire device.
- Massive selection of films and tv shows with an even balance between the two
- Subtitle support with open subtitles
- Download videos to watch them offline
- Library renews every day
- Large back catalog of content
- Inbuilt technology means less buffering and latency
- Watch videos in a variety of qualities up to 1080p
- Clean and easy to use UI
- IMDB ratings integrated
- Intelligent search function and genres
YOUR INTERNET ACTIVITY IS BEING WATCHED
ReviewVPN cannot attest to the legality, security and privacy of the applications discussed on this site. It is highly recommended that you use a VPN service while streaming or using Kodi.
Currently, your IP 220.127.116.11 is visible to everyone and your Browser is being tracked by Advertisers & ISP Provider.
Here are the main reasons why you must use a VPN:
- Your activities are hidden from your ISP, the government, and from the apps you are using.
- You can access additional movies and TV streams.
- ISP attempts to throttle are thrwarted thus reducing buffering issues.
- Geographically restricted content like Netflix and Hulu can be unblocked.
A VPN works be replacing your ISP-assigned IP address and creating an encrypted tunnel. We recommend the no log service offered by IPVanish. It works well on a Firestick and offers the fastest possible speeds.
Pros and Cons
- Much older app means an enormous back catalog of content
- Proprietary technology makes for fast streaming even on low-speed internet
- Download when offline is a rare function for most android streaming apps these days
- Easy to use interface, categories, and functions
- Good stability
- Has stood the test of time since 2014 so seems unlikely to go anywhere
- Still used by a lot of users
- No support for Real Debrian or Premiumize meaning you can’t access high-speed torrents and community lists
- No support for Trak.TV meaning you can’t pick up a TV show where you left off
- The app looks dated
- Very rarely updated these days, seems clear the developers have little time to give to Cartoon HD but keep it running due to its popularity
- Problems are left unanswered and the official website doesn’t work
- App hasn’t worked when downloaded from the Amazon store for almost 2 years and this issue still hasn’t been fixed
- A cutting edge app in 2014 is now just a bit dated and old
- Many complaints about a huge number of ads at a time can make getting to watch a show an arduous process
Is it Safe to Use?
Yes, the application is available to download from a number of websites.
Is it Legal or Grey?
It’s a grey area, but we’d say Cartoon HD is leaning on the side of not-so-legal. Many apps have prevented users from downloading content as it makes them complicit in the distribution of pirated material, but Typhoon TV has included it as a popular feature.
However, Cartoon HD has been going for almost 5 years and is rarely taken down or has a service drop, which makes us think it is operating a model that does not arouse undue attention.
Should I Use This App With a VPN?
Always use Cartoon HD with a VPN. Using an Android streaming app without a VPN, even if it works will mean your broadband may get throttled to a slower speed. Without it, most of their content will be blocked as well as their website. ISP’s work in conjunction with big media providers to actively block and monitor the use, distribution, and streaming of pirated content.
A VPN allows you to encrypt your data from your VPN Client to their DNS Server, you can also get access to Cartoon HD from any server around the world, without your traffic being scrutinized.
We recommend installing an active VPN on your device before downloading and installing Cartoon HD. We recommend getting an IPVANISH now.
Install IPVanish on Firestick with Screenshots
1. Click Home on your remote and click “Find”.
2. Click “Search”
3. You can either say IPVanish to your Alexa’s voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
4. Click on the IPVanish icon.
5. Click on Download
6. Wait to download.
7. Wait to install.
8. Click on Open.
9. Input your username and password to log in.
10. Click Connect.
Is it Free?
Yes, Cartoon HD is free
Are There Ads? (If it has ads is there a modded version)
Yes, there are a lot of ads, so much so that there were numerous complaints on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cartoonandmoviesHD/
Is There a Premium Version?
The free version is the premium version
Is There an Official Website?
Yes, though the website quoted on their initial website doesn’t work.
You can download from https://cartoonhd.cz/
What Other Devices Does it Work On?
Cartoon HD will work on any Android devices but isn’t available in the Amazon store. So download the app directly online and then sideload onto your device
How Does The App Work?
Download directly from the Cartoon HD website and load onto your device
What is The Minimum Version of Android I Need?
How Long Has it Been Around?
Cartoon HD has been around since 2013 and their Facebook page dates from 2014
Is it a Terrarium Clone?
What is the Development Team Like?
The development team have been linked to multiple Android TV apps, and seem to have a good pedigree for developing successful apps, mainly for the purposes of generating revenue through ads.
Cyberflix and TV Zion far outstrip anything else currently on the market. Also worth looking at Cinema HD, Tea TV, and Bee TV.
Cartoon HD was once a great app but is lacking some TLC from developers. There are no better and more up to date apps out there, but Cartoon HD still serves as a great backup.