Aptoide is one of the most widely used libraries in the world, with over 250 million users and 10 billion downloads. It even has its own cryptocurrency.
The platform has proven to be ahead of the curve consistently for many years and has grown a massive following.
Aptoide is the third-largest mobile application ecosystem behind Apple and Google and you have probably never heard of them, but there is a lot to love about Aptoide, is their Malware scanning system.
A lot of file stores are risky because you can’t be sure of what you are downloading, but with Aptoide you get a great choice of over 1 million applications as well as Malware scanning software comparable to the big players.
What is an APK File?
An APK file is common amongst all applications that run on Android. When you download an Android application and install it manually, it will generally come as a zip file.
When you unzip the file you will see a folder with a file that ends with .apk
This is the executable file that initiates the installation sequence for the download, for those who are computer savvy, it’s similar to a .exe file on Windows.
Bear in mind that once you give permission to run an executable file you allow it to make changes to your system, which is why apk files should always come from a trusted source.
If you ever have any doubts about the file source, we recommend that you download Malwarebytes and scan the files prior to opening them.
Why Can’t I Just Download The App on The Google Play Store?
The Google Play Store become the biggest app store in the world in just over 10 years and now offer over 2 million applications. That’s almost half a million more than the Apple App Store.
Some applications may not pass the strict developer tests that are administered by each company automatically, or the application may carry out a service that Google and Apple deem to be inappropriate for the app store.
A good example is free TV streaming applications that have been flagged for allowing the streaming of copyrighted content without consent.
Applications who can’t publish in the Google or Apple store, or perhaps just don’t like the amount of money they need to pay to the companies every time a paid app is downloaded will then feature their application on other platforms like Aptoide.
How Do I Install Unknown Files?
One of the biggest advantages of downloading an application through the Google Play Store is that you are almost guaranteed that the software is Malware and virus free.
That’s not the case when you download a zip file for an APK direct from a website. Your phone will have an inbuilt fail-safe to prevent unknown files being opened that don’t come from a trusted source, so you will need to alter your settings to allow third-party developers and applications from unknown sources.
Before you try to using Aptoide make sure that you have changed the appropriate setting on your phones by going to:
Settings > Security > Allow Third Party Applications / Install Unknown Applications
These setting will vary by device, so if the above doesn’t work just Google “Allow unknown apps + Your Device”
What is Aptoide?
Aptoide is an enormous software marketplace where each developer manages its own store of applications.
Unlike the Google Play Store, where Google manages and monetizes all the apps, developers are given more overall control which is why it has proven so popular over time with developers and users.
Aptoide is available in 40 different languages and reportedly offers over 1 million applications which would make it third to only the Apple App Store (1.6M + applications) and the Google Play Store (2.1M + applications)
The innovative use of their own in-app cryptocurrency called AppCoin encourages users to click on adverts and be more interactive within the platform.
Users can then navigate within the app and download it within the portal. A big bonus is that the Aptoide team is massive. They have a fully scaled and revenue-generating business, which means they can offer cutting edge Malware technology and scan apps to make sure that they are safe to download within the application.
As well, by offering their own API and co-branding solution they promote application development and monetizing, which makes them popular with developers
- Enormous library
- 1M + applications
- 3rd largest application library in the world
- Unfettered access and less restrictive than Google Play
- Access to most of the apps you would expect to find at Apple and Google
- Downgrade to a lower version of the application if you come across an instability or bug in their code
- Like Google Play you can automatically sync all your applications and update them all at the same time
- Creating a private store makes it desirable to developers, as well as the ability to target specific countries
- An excellent Malware scanning system
- Easy to publish and download applications
How to Install Aptoide
You can download the application directly from their website: https://www.aptoide.com/en/home
Note: ReviewVPN.com does not host this APK file. It is hosted on Archive.org.
Screenshots with Step by Step Instruction to Install Aptoide on a Firestick
- Scroll to Settings from the home screen.
2. Scroll down and to the right until you get to My Fire TV. Click on it.
3. Select Developer options.
4. Turn on ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Source.
5. Click Turn On when the pop-up appears.
6. Click Home on your remote and scroll once to your left. It will be the search icon.
7. You can either say Downloader to your Alexa voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
8. Click on the Downloader icon
9. Click Download
10. Click on Open
11. Click on Allow.
12. Type https://www.aptoide.com/en/home and click Go.
13. Click on INSTALL NOW!
14. Click on Install and you should be all set. Remember to delete the APK file after installation to save space.
15. Select OPEN
Is it Safe?
As application store goes, Aptoide is great. They use similar Malware software to Google and assure their users that all the apps on their platform are Malware free. You can feel safe downloading through Aptoide.
There are a couple of good alternatives out there. As we stressed elsewhere you should always exercise caution when downloading .apk files and make sure to scan them with Malwarebytes just to be safe.
- APK Mirror – Probably the most popular APK site online, well over 10,000 applications on offer. With a mix of readily available applications as well as those not on the Google Play Store
- Mobilism – A massive library of applications and books for Android and Windows as well as older devices like Blackberry
- APK Time – A lesser-known platform than some of the others, but a great source if you particularly want apps based around Android TV and TV streaming. Also, it gives you a library of applications within the application which is neat.