Common Mistakes Firestick Overview
In this article, I’ll be listing down the most common mistakes that Firestick users commit when using their Amazon Firestick device.
The Firestick allows us to do a lot of things with just a small device that we can plug into the TV’s port. However, as Firestick users, we should know how to do things properly to get the most out of our devices. Aside from that, we cannot afford to put our privacy at risk when using our Firestick device.
In some cases, we even use it to visit websites that we don’t want anyone to know about. And as a result, we must understand when we are allowing our data to be collected and monitored. That is why we wrote this article to assist users, particularly new ones, in avoiding these common mistakes.
So, let’s get started with the list and make your Firestick experience better and safer.
Common Mistakes Firestick Users Commit
When attempting to use the Firestick, some users are uncertain of what they are doing. So here are some of the most common mistakes that Firestick users make and why you should avoid them.
Starting to make an Amazon Account During Firestick Setup
When I first started using my Firestick, an experienced Firestick user advised me to first create an Amazon Account on another device to easily set up my device. And the reason is simple and clear. It’s because you’ll need to have and enter your credit card information to create if you do it during the setup process. Some FireStick users even say that if you don’t have an updated credit card, you won’t be able to download apps from the store. However, if you create your account before beginning the installation, you will never have to update anything and will only need a valid billing address to download and install apps on your device.
Furthermore, if you are having trouble setting up your Firestick device, you could also read this.
Failure To Deregister A Lost Firestick Device
Now that we’ve mentioned Amazon Accounts, we can continue with deregistering your Firestick on your Amazon Account if your device has been lost. This is important to remember because Firestick has access to your Amazon account, which stores information about your credit card. The last thing you want is for some Firestick purchases that you did not make appear on your bill.
How To Deregister your Firestick Device
- Log in your Amazon username and password on their website
- Hover over to “Account & Lists” on the upper right part of the screen
- On the “Your Account” option Click on “Account”
- Then choose “Your devices and content”
- Click “Manage devices”
- Select “Fire TV”
- Your device summary will then appear, simply click on “Deregister”
Using the Firestick Default Privacy Settings
Many people might be unaware that the default privacy setting on the Firestick allows Amazon to collect certain information about your data and usage. They have permission to do the following on your Firestick:
- Collect Device Usage Data
- Collect App Usage Data
- Conduct Data Monitoring
So to assist you in disabling it here’s how:
How To Disable Data Collection and Data Monitoring
- Go to “Settings”.
- Choose “Preferences”.
- Select “Privacy Settings”.
- Click on “Device Usage Data”.
- Then click on “Turn Off”.
- Select “Collect App Usage Data”.
- Also, click on “Turn Off”.
- On your Firestick remote, press the “Return” button.
- Go to “Data Monitoring”.
- If it is turned on, simply click on it to turn it “Off”.
Keeping Your TV/Firestick Far From The Router
If you frequently experience lags and buffers, or if you have difficulty installing apps on your device, you should be aware that the distance between your Firestick device and your router affects the strength of your connection. That’s why we always advise our users to connect their device to a TV near a router to improve the speed of their Firestick.
YOUR INTERNET ACTIVITY IS BEING WATCHED
ReviewVPN cannot attest to the legality, security and privacy of the applications discussed on this site. It is highly recommended that you use a VPN service while streaming or using Kodi.
Currently, your IP 18.104.22.168 is visible to everyone and your Browser is being tracked by Advertisers & ISP Provider.
Here are the main reasons why you must use a VPN:
- Your activities are hidden from your ISP, the government, and from the apps you are using.
- You can access additional movies and TV streams.
- ISP attempts to throttle are thrwarted thus reducing buffering issues.
- Geographically restricted content like Netflix and Hulu can be unblocked.
A VPN works be replacing your ISP-assigned IP address and creating an encrypted tunnel. We recommend the no log service offered by IPVanish. It works well on a Firestick and offers the fastest possible speeds.
How To Check The Strength of Your Wifi Connection
- Go to “Settings”
- Choose “Network”
- Select your Wifi Connection
- Then press the “Play/Pause” button of your Firestick Remote Control
- The connection status of your Wifi connection will then appear and you can see the signal strength of your connection
The Cache Is Not Being Cleared
Although cache allows you to run apps quickly and efficiently by storing temporary files on your device, it can slow down the performance of your Firestick device. This is because these temporary files eventually consume a significant portion of the memory on your Firestick device. And you’re probably aware of how little memory our Firestick has to store a large number of unnecessary files.
Steps on How To Clear Cache
- On the Home screen, go to “Settings”.
- Then go to “Applications”.
- Choose “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Browse through your installed apps and click on the one from where you want to clear the cache.
- Then click on the last option which is “Clear cache”.
Note: You can also use this option to search for apps that have a cache. It is on the details that will be displayed when you hover over an app.
Not Enabling Parental Controls
If you are a parent, this could be one of the best Firestick features for you. Moreover, by enabling parental controls, you can efficiently restrict access to your confidential or favorite files and content. You can password-protect content that you don’t want others to see by simply entering a PIN.
How To Turn On Parental Controls
- Simply go to “Settings”.
- Then choose “Preferences”.
- Click on the first option which is “Parental Controls”.
- Then click on “Parental Controls” again.
- Enter a 5-digit PIN.
- Then enter the PIN again.
- Your Firestick will then save your pin, and a notification will appear stating that “Parental Controls Enabled”.
- Just click on “OK”.
Note: Aside from turning your Parental Controls on and off, you can also PIN Protect Purchases, Restrict viewing of Prime Videos, PIN Protect App Launches, and Change Pin in this option.
Not Rebooting The Firestick
To provide an overview of the importance of rebooting your Firestick device, we recently published an article on why you should reboot your Firestick regularly. Some of its advantages include automatic clearing of cached files, receiving Firestick updates, and forcing the shutdown of apps that you are unaware are running in the background. Moreover, rebooting your Firestick allows it to run faster, so every Firestick users need to be aware of this.
How To Reboot Your Firestick Device
- On the Main Menu, go to “Settings”.
- Select “My Fire TV”.
- Click on “Reset to Factory Defaults”.
- Then choose “Reset”.
- Your Firestick would then start to reboot.
Note: Simply reconnect to your WiFi network and sign in to your Amazon account after the reboot, and your device will be as fast as it was when it was brand new.
Not Using a VPN When Browsing and Streaming Contents Online
When streaming and accessing anything online, the first rule is to protect your privacy. And the only way to do so is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN will protect your data information, preventing hackers and phishers from accessing it. You may not realize it, but skilled hackers find it simpler to steal data online because there are so many sign-ups when downloading and accessing content. And, these days, you have to be extra cautious because our generation uses online banking and stores a lot of information in our social media accounts.
What is the Best VPN for Firestick?
Surfshark is the best VPN that has stood the test of time. We’ve been using Surfshark for a long time and consider it to be the ideal VPN for Firestick. Surfshark will assist you in encrypting your connection so that no one on the internet can trace or track your data traffic. It allows you to connect using its numerous anonymous IP addresses, ensuring that you have access to a secure connection at all times. Aside from that, you can take advantage of the following benefits:
- It allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections, ensuring data encryption across all of your devices
- You can easily bypass censorships by connecting from one of its 65 locations so you could access geo-restricted apps and websites
- Its kill switch feature ensures that your device is disconnected from the internet if your VPN connection is interrupted
- You have unlimited bandwidth to stream and download whichever content you want
- It helps you in avoiding ISP throttling by concealing your internet activity from your ISP, allowing you to maintain the speed of your internet connection
Why Should You Take Precautions When Using a Firestick?
The Firestick is a remarkable device that allows us to convert our regular TV into an internet streaming device. And, with the help of the Firestick, we can watch movies and videos online for free. However, you may be wondering if there are any privacy concerns when using Firestick. And, to be honest, there may be risks to exposing your personal information because you have access to a lot of apps and websites online. During app installations, there may be some sign-ups and data storage, so make sure you only provide the necessary information needed. And, if at all possible, create a separate account for Firestick use. As a result, your online banking and social media accounts will be separated from your streaming activities.
Additional Reminders Especially For New Firestick Users
- Be knowledgeable on how to protect your data privacy so you could keep your information private
- Always use a VPN to surf anonymously
- Do not divulge private information to ensure the security of your data on Firestick
- Be wary of Firestick Security and Privacy Concerns
- Ensure Firestick is configured safely
- Understand the features and functions of a Firestick
- Learn how to maximize the potential of our firestick device but at the same time avoid being hacked
- Install the right apps to avoid scams, hacks, as well as legality issues
- Know the Dos and Donts while using the Firestick
- Remember the Common Mistakes Firestick Users Commit to avoiding them from happening
How to Install Surfshark VPN on Firestick
If your Firestick still has the older interface, read this article to learn how to update it: Update Firestick Interface.
Follow our screenshots below to install the SurfShark VPN app on your Fire TV stick.
1. Go to the Home screen of your Firestick.
2. Navigate towards the Find tab. Press the Search button from the resulting dropdown.
3. Type in the keyword of SurfShark and select from the suggestions that will appear.
4. Click the official SurfShark icon from your search results.
5. Press the Download (You own it) button.
6. The SurfShark VPN installer will download on your device.
7. SurfShark VPN’s app will automatically install itself on your Fire TV stick.
8. Press the Open button after completing SurfShark VPN’s installation process.
9. Please wait for the SurfShark VPN to load its user interface.
10. You can now log in with your SurfShark VPN account credentials.
Learn more about Surfshark and Grab the Best Surfshark Deal Now!
- 1200+ Servers in 60+ Countries around the world
- Unlimited Connections
- No-Log Policy
- Top Notch Military-Grade VPN Protocols and Encryptions
- 100% Safe and Secured
- Most Trusted VPN
- Best VPN for Firestick
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Yearly $3.99 per month (63% Discount) – 30 days risk free + Ransomware & Malware Protection
- Quarterly $5.32 per month (51% Discount)
- Monthly $10.99 per month
For more VPN discounts, go to ReviewVPN Deals and purchase the best VPN for you.
Click here to get the lowest price on Surfshark through our exclusive limited-time offer.
What does the FIrestick do?
The Firestick allows you to install apps on your device so you can watch and listen to your favorite movies, TV shows, and music on your TV. You can also access popular streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube, and a lot more with the use of a Firestick.
Should I Use a VPN when using a Firestick?
The Firestick allows you to install both unrestricted and geo-restricted content on your device. So the app will determine whether you need a VPN to bypass censorships and geo-restrictions. However, for data protection, we recommend using a VPN when streaming and accessing online content.
What is the best VPN for Firestick?
Surfshark has long been considered the best VPN for Firestick because of the benefits it provides to its users. It’s ideal for streaming and torrenting because it gives you unlimited bandwidth to download and watch content on your Firestick.
Is Firestick Safe?
Yes, Firestick is safe to use. However, we recommend you use a VPN when using apps on your device.
Is Firestick Legal?
Yes, Firestick is legal. However, it does not guarantee that all the apps and websites you access with Firestick are legal.
If you’re new to Firestick, there are probably several things you’re hesitant to do or don’t want to do with your device. You might even be doing some of these common mistakes Firestick users commit which can compromise your privacy. So it’s very important to know how to use your Firestick device properly. In that way, you’ll be able to get the most out of your Firestick device while also protecting your data privacy while streaming your favorite apps and websites.
And with that, we’d like to thank you for reading our article on the Common Mistakes that Firestick Users Commit. We hope we were able to assist you in getting these to work on your Firestick device so that you can enjoy a better and more secure Firestick experience. Enjoy!