MediaBox HD Overview
Is it Any Good?
MediaBox HD is the revitalized application that used to be known as The Movie DB app. It’s got history just like Tea TV. It has a solid fan base, one of the major reasons being that it only shows content that has working links. Fixing one of the biggest problems faced when using android tv applications. Endlessly clicking on links and content that doesn’t work.
What Does it Do?
MediaBox HD works in a similar way to a lot of other Android TV apps, using their proprietary scrapers they search online looking for new content added from 3rd parties. The links are automatically tested and if they are found to work then they are added to an extensive media library.
A plus side of the application is that it only serves working links that are checked daily.
What Platforms Does it Work On?
Media ox HD works on all Android-based devices and also has an iOS app
- Wide range of media
- Search function
- Feature to watch content offline
- Comes with a dark and light theme
- Works with a variety of external media players
- Has a kid’s mode
- Option to download content straight from the source
- Auto Play
- Works on iOS and Windows with an Android emulator
- Compatible with Real Debrid, Premiumize, and Trakt.TV
- Will only show content that is currently available
- Supports Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV
YOUR INTERNET ACTIVITY IS BEING WATCHED
ReviewVPN cannot attest to the legality, security and privacy of the applications discussed on this site. It is highly recommended that you use a VPN service while streaming or using Kodi.
Currently, your IP 22.214.171.124 is visible to everyone and your Browser is being tracked by Advertisers & ISP Provider.
Here are the main reasons why you must use a VPN:
- Your activities are hidden from your ISP, the government, and from the apps you are using.
- You can access additional movies and TV streams.
- ISP attempts to throttle are thrwarted thus reducing buffering issues.
- Geographically restricted content like Netflix and Hulu can be unblocked.
A VPN works be replacing your ISP-assigned IP address and creating an encrypted tunnel. We recommend the no log service offered by IPVanish. It works well on a Firestick and offers the fastest possible speeds.
Pros and Cons
- Massive library of content
- Development history and provenance coming from an older application
- Simple and clean user interface
- Compatibility with Premiumize means that you can download torrents at high speed
- The fact that links are tested and only working content is shown is a massive time saver to a major problem with a lot of live-streaming apps
- Kids mode means that it’s safe for the kids to use, stopping them from accessing adult content
- Compatibility with Real Debrid means you can access lots of up to date playlists, as well as unrestricted downloads and avoid buffering
- Being compatible with Trakt.tv means you can pick up watching something where you left off
- 100% free
- Good filter and search function
- Subtitles compatible from multiple sources
- Auto Play and Auto Next functions for easy binge-watching
- Supports a wide variety of languages
- Download content to watch offline means you can use on a phone or tablet and watch your favorite shows or films on the go
- Customizable skins give it a Kodi like feel
- You can request movies and TV shows that you want to be added
- Has a working iOS app
- Lack of community support or much information even on Facebook or Reddit
- Smaller media library than most of its competitors, because a lot of content isn’t shown if they cannot find a working link
Install MediaBox HD on a Firestick
Note: ReviewVPN.com does not host this APK file. It is hosted on Archive.org.
- Scroll right from the home screen of the Firestick until you reach Settings
- In Settings, scroll to the right until you reach My Fire TV
- Click on Developer Options and turn on ADB Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources
- Click the home buttons and scroll to the left to search the Amazon App Store
- Search for and install downloader
- Type reviewvpn.com/mhd in the address bar
Is it Safe to Use?
Yes, the application is available to download from the Amazon Store. Always make sure you download from a trusted site, the Amazon store of MediaBox HD website. Be careful of clone websites with similar names.
Is it Legal or Grey?
It’s a grey area but if we are honest MediaBox HD like all of the applications in the industry is helping to carry out copyright piracy. The only way it would be legal is if it is coming directly from the provider which usually involves a fee. Which is why we always recommend using an Android TV application with a VPN.
Should I Use This App With a VPN?
Yes, the chance is if you try to use MediaBox HD without a VPN then your Internet Service Provider would block the content. ISP’s are really hot on illegal streaming applications and will log your usage and may even send you a letter warning you not to watch illegal content.
With a VPN you can obscure your IP, routing your traffic through their DNS and encrypt your data meaning that no one will know what you are doing, not even your ISP.
Using a VPN will help keep your identity safe and give you access to far more content than you would have without encryption.
Install IPVanish on Firestick with Screenshots
If your Firestick still has the older interface, read this article to learn how to update it: Update Firestick Interface.
1. Click Home on your remote and click “Find”.
2. Click “Search”
3. You can either say IPVanish to your Alexa’s voice-enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
4. Click on the IPVanish icon.
5. Click on Download
6. Wait to download.
7. Wait to install.
8. Click on Open.
9. Input your username and password to log in.
10. Click Connect.
Is it Free?
Yes, but comes with ads
Are There Ads? (If it has ads is there a modded version)
Yes, ads are served within the application
Is There a Premium Version?
No, you can get a modded application or just suffer the ads
Is There an Official Website?
Yes, a pretty basic one, but comes with a changelog. There does seem to be a lot of copycat websites around. Find MediaBox HD here: https://mediaboxhd.net/
What Other Devices Does it Work On?
MediaBox HD will work on any device running Android including the Nvidia Shield.
How Does The App Work?
Simply download, unzip, install and go.
What is the Minimum Version of Android I Need?
How Long Has it Been Around?
Difficult to tell, but from what we can say from their activity on Reddit, at least a year
Is it a Terrarium Clone?
What is the Development Team Like?
Again, we pretty much came up blank, we suspect a solo hobbyist developer
There are better applications out there with a more active community and developers.
ReviewVPN.com does not host any of these files. They are hosted on Archive.org.
Media Box HD does have a lot of things going for it. It has good support and compatibility with all the major platforms as well as a decent library of content. The features reflect a product that has been worked on for a long time like autoplay and auto next.
One of the biggest pulls is that content is vetted before being added to the library which is great if you don’t want to keep clicking on content that isn’t there or doesn’t work.
However, we are a bit concerned about the lack of information or support from any obvious Facebook or Reddit group. Sometimes this can be a sign that the app could just stop working or go down at any time if the developer loses interest.