What Is It?
Cetus Play turns your smartphone into a TV remote. Once you’ve downloaded the App onto your phone, simply switch on your device and follow the instructions to pair the two together.
Cetus has also started to expand beyond a TV remote and offer functionality for controlling multiple devices that are integrated into the Internet of Things ecosystem, like smart door locks, lightbulbs, and HVAC systems.
You can also use the app to sideload applications onto the Amazon Fire TV series devices, and automatically deletes .apk files once they are installed on the Fire device.
Cetus Play boasts daily users.
As well as over 32K reviews on Google Play and 1M+ downloads.
Where Is It Available?
Cetus Play is available to download directly from their website, on the Google Play Store, iOS Store and also the Amazon App Store.
You can also download it from APK Time and Apptoide.
Cetus Play official website: https://www.cetusplay.com/
Apple App Store: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/cetusplay/id1219898700
Like any other popular software make sure to only use the official website or a trusted provider. Many malicious parties will use similar name websites to give you access to files that may be infected with malware.
Whenever you download a file from an unknown source we recommend you always use Malwarebytes to scan the file before opening.
Screenshots with Step by Step Instruction to Install Cetus Play on a Firestick
1. Scroll to Settings from the home screen.
2. Scroll down and to the right until you get to My Fire TV. Click on it.
3. Select Developer options.
4. Turn on ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Source.
5. Click Turn On when the pop-up appears.
6. Click home on your remote and scroll once to your left. It will be the search icon.
7. You can either say Downloader to your Alexa voice enabled remote or start typing it. If you typed it, click on the suggestion when it appears.
8. Click on the Downloader icon
9. Click Download
10. Click on Open
11. Click on Allow.
12. Type https://www.cetusplay.com/ and click Go.
13. Click on Download APK.
14. Click on Install and you should be all set. Remember to delete the APK file after installation to save space.
15. Click OPEN.
What Features Does It Have?
Cetus Play offers:
- Multiple navigation modes which include Direction-Pad, TouchPad, Keyboard mode, and Mouse mode;
- Cast your favorite streaming media like Youtube directly from your phone to TV
- Use Cetus Play to send applications to your TV or Android device
- Quickly launch your TV apps through one click on your phone;
- Clean cache and trash to speed up your TV with a one-click trash function
- Screen capture function which allows you to take a picture of the screen in-app, cut and share on Social Media
- Cast local videos, photos, and files to your device
- Load your M3U Playlist directly to your TV
- Cast directly from links online
- Compatible with over 13,000 TV models, 250+ TV applications
How Do You Use It?
Download the App on your phone and then sync with your Android device.
Cetus Play is free with ads, and for $4 you can pay for the premium app and remove ads from the device.
When Was It Developed?
Cetus Play was released in 2017
What Tools Does It Compliment The Most?
Cetus Play is a decent alternative to using your own TV remote, the mouse pointer function can be a bit off. But it gives greater functionality than say a bog-standard Amazon Fire Stick remote.
What makes it unique is that it works on a wide range of TV’s and TV applications. Most remote controls for your phone are developed with only a specific app in mind and won’t work on any others. A pain if you like to use Kodi and Chromecast for example.
There have been some reported issues with the mouse function, so we suggest downloading a separate application that can refine the mouse pointer function.
Also, users reported an excessive number of permission being asked on their phones including GPS location. Which raises some concerns about privacy and data use.
On the Google Play Store, they have a decent rating of 4.4/5 considering the thousands of reviews, but on the Apple Store, they have received some negative commentary which has gone unanswered.
But on the Google Play Store, there were recent comments and fix suggestions from the development team
History / Is It In Active Development?
Cetus Play is shown on the iOS app store as being developed by Guang Yu Zhang who may just be a member of the development team.
The responses to negative reviews on the Google Play Store shows there is some activity from the development team. Though you can only report bugs or give suggestion and advice through an email on their website. So no forums or active conversations with the developer which could well just be one person.
What Devices Does It Work On?
Cetus Play works with iOS and Android devices
What Alternatives Exist?
As spoken about before many alternative TV remotes work solely for that device, so you have Cast to TV for Chrome Cast, Remote for Samsung TV and Kore for Kodi.
The two best alternatives for controlling a wide range of devices are:
Anymote Universal Remote: Works on over 900,000 different devices including Samsun, AVR, Panasonic and Xbox and call also be customized with themes and has a library of accompanying widgets
Harmony: Works on a wide range of devices but more skewed towards working for Smart Home. You can also customize and create favorite channels.
There are plenty of other free apps out there but none quite offer the functionality of Cetus Play, as most Universal remotes are now steered towards use across devices in the Smart Home. The sideloading functionality that Cetus Play offers is really useful and targeted directly at those using Android TV.
What Apps Does It Compliment / Are Required To Use It?
Complementary apps which work well with Cetus Play, fall into 2 categories.
For pushing apps to your Fire Stick or Android device we recommend Apps 2, Easy File Tools or ADB Link.
Also though Cetus Play says that it can remove the need for the paid Mouse Toggle app we respectfully disagree. We found the mouse pointer was still off and it’s worth paying for Mouse Toggle if you don’t want to keep getting a mouse pointer that is off.